Monday, February 4, 2013

Before Sunrise

Love through conversation vs. love at first sight:

Celine and Jesse's connection happens primarily through language, which was ironic to me at the beginning when they are discussing the stereotype of American travelers only understanding English. When they first see each other, it is a sort of "love at first sight moment", but the true spark ignites as they begin their initial conversation. Their conversations are not very spectacular or symbolic as they tend to be in romance films- just simple, everyday conversation you would share with a good friend. The topics are fairly normal- parents, family, their youth. I really liked this about the film- it gave it an authenticity that made these characters feel like people I knew. It felt entirely plausible that the story of this film could happen in real life. I like that the sexual connection happened through language- the mind is the biggest sexual organ, after all. 

Self fulfillment and self discovery in the "other:

This film does such a good job of reflecting the self in the other, and not in an overly pained or exaggerated way. The first scene that comes to mind is when Celine and Jesse are making the "phone calls" to their friends describing how they met each other. It is interesting how they can be so honest, so willing to reveal the details of their thoughts that we would normally see as too mundane to share, when they think they are talking to someone else. People should really do this more often, because oftentimes we want to know those details. There is so much information about someone's feelings that is left behind, and I know that I tend to dwell on what that person didn't say, the little details that might make a big difference. This conversation was also one of the most touching and romantic of the conversations in the film- you can feel the sweet and playful intimacy that is created through the scene. 

I really enjoyed this film because it was a realistic romance- just two people with a sexual connection talking to one another and living in the moment. The moment in the record shop when they are looking at each other and then look away reminded me of moments in my life where I liked someone but would only allow myself to stare when I knew they couldn't see. As soon as they would look my way, I would avert my eyes, blushing a bit at what had happened, wondering if I had the courage to stop stealing glances and say something. 

This film inspires me to truly live in the moment, and stop focusing so much on the past and the present. We cannot change the past and cannot control the future from happening- we have control over the present, and it is up to us what we do with it. Whenever I have travelled to a foreign country, it has always been my dream to end up in this exact situation- meet someone, forge a strong connection, and end up exploring a dreamy European city for a day.(the location is definitely important- could you see this film happening outside of Europe and maintaining its romantic, airy feel?) Before Sunrise makes it feel possible, due to its realism and warmth, and for an hour and a half I could escape into the moment with Celine and Jesse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment