Monday, November 19, 2012

My Love Song: One Marathon by Reverie Sound Revue

I chose "One Marathon" by Reverie Sound Revue; a song by a very indie Canadian band. These are the lyrics:

I see you, carry the course
Some girl up and left again
And the sun seems to follow through
Oh, On a promise to follow you
Maybe the climb will in time
Remind you as you're always
Seeking me on harmony of rhyme
In time, as I wait, as time unwinds

As I dive over the finish line
As I dive over the finish line

I see you, call his name, Bliss,
I can't explain the whys of your wishing
Then you call me places
And you leave me aging
While I send my senses
I play by patience

But I know you know I
I must swear you hear my say
"No, our misses are not a plan"
So I miss you
And I run through
Through you

As I dive over the finish line
As I dive over the finish line
As I dive over the finish line

This song incorporates some natural imagery- the sun, "the climb"- to describe a person's love for someone who is not in their physical environment. This person is willing to wait for this love, withstand any test it might face, which is something I can relate to. The title, One Marathon, refers to the idea of a race against time, and that eventually love can "dive over the finish line," become a reality. Time is a temporary separation, and if you believe in your feelings, you just need to have patience. The line "I can't explain the whys of your wishing" especially resonates with me, because so much of what we feel is inexplicable. Sometimes you cannot explain what happens in your life, why you love someone despite any logical deterrences, or why you hold onto hope for a future with someone who is not physically available. The feeling of love itself is hard to explain or justify. 

I think that love and desire for someone can continue on indefinitely, despite the circumstances of the relationship. You will miss that person, and maintain hope that you will be reunited someday- and it is not foolish to have that hope. Life is unpredictable, and it is not impossible for two lives to come back together after some time apart. Sometimes, that time was necessary, and the relationship is better for it. I think it is important to know how to miss someone- you better understand your feelings and appreciate that person in a way you hadn't before. How do you know if you really love someone if that person is around all the time, and the relationship never had to undergo any tests? 

This song is inherently hopeful, just as I am about love. I believe everyone has a chance to experience a good relationship, one built on a real connection that has undergone some kind of test and has pushed through the hard times. Love is not instant; it takes time. Sometimes, it takes some distance too. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqVHYhIp9M

No comments:

Post a Comment